Wednesday, February 16, 2011

First days at the Mountain



Dear Friends,

I have arrived at Mountain Lamp. I took a long slow drive to get here stopping to visit friends as I went. The drive from Kelowna to Vancouver was snowy and difficult to see. At one point I found myself driving behind a snowplow- which was helpful because the snow was cleared in front of me but also not very helpful as it was going only 40 Km/hr. I decided to pass him. By the time I hit Chilliwack the snow had turned to rain and the fields were beautifully wet and green. Its such a different climate on this side of the mountains!
As I drove into Mountain Lamp I found Eileen (my dharma teacher and chief resident of the community) pruning apple trees outside. She was delighted to see me!
Walking in the mud the next day I was delighted by the smell of the earth, the wood and the green grass. Everything is covered in moss in these parts and I have come understand why- it freezes very little and it rains very much.
The Mountain Lamp property consists of a large house that looks over a little valley of fields, a meditation hall which was converted from a two car garage, a cottage under construction, a garden which is mostly asleep at the moment, a hendo (chicken coop), a yurt, a hermitage and two outhouses. I live in the hermitage. When the cottage is completed in June I will move into the big house.
For now my living space is a small room with a little kitchen (sink without running water and a one burner hot plate) and a loft which is just big enough for a single mattress. It actually suits my needs quite well- although I’d locate the outhouse a little closer for convenience. At night on my way to the outhouse, I can hear the owls hooing in the trees so there are some advantages.
At first walking into the hermitage felt a little strange because it has mostly been used as an interview or dokusan room. This is the place where you meet the meditation teacher. It can be a bit intimidating to sit down and have a little one on one about ones practice. For days as I entered the hermitage I wanted to bow to the room. I suppose on some level there is still a teacher greeting me at the door. I love that the steps up to the hermitage are made of two beautiful stones.
We meet early in the morning for meditation. Not terribly early by zen standards- only 6 or 6:30am. Unfortunately we have yet to determine how to set the heater to turn on before we arrive so its usually around 10 degrees and doesn’t warm up much until we’re finished sitting. I wear my toque and two layers of blankets. Not very zen at all but I do enjoy practicing there. The smell of incense, candlelight and the slow rise of sun from the zendo window doors helps me to breathe and look deeply.
I have learned how to take care of the chickens. They are very easy creatures to get along with although I think they sometimes don’t get along with each other. They are laying three or four eggs a day. An indication, apparently, that spring is coming. Its pretty much spring here most of the year I think.
I have also begun to learn apple tree pruning but it seems a bit of mysterious art. Hard to tell exactly what to cut and what not to cut so the tree grows strong and with much fruit. We have fire going outside when its not raining to burn the wood. Now all we need is some cheese to make apple wood smoked cheese!
Its evening and I will settle in now to read and breathe on my own. I’m looking forward to going to Seattle on the weekend for a meditation intensive they call Zenkai. I expect it will be strange to be in a big city after nearly two weeks out here away from the noise and lights.
Wishing you all love and wellness.
Tracey

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the blog Tracey. It sounds beautiful if wet. It's beautiful with hoar frost here, tho cold.

    I hope you learn to graft apples and show me.

    Love Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  2. re "begun to learn apple tree pruning"

    Wow! Your grandfather Tom would be proud, and very interested!

    ReplyDelete